The episcopal basilica and the complex around it are located in the center of the modern town Sandanski. The site was discovered by chance in 1917, when during the construction the military found well-preserved circular baptistery. The excavations were renewed in 1989 by a team directed by Alexandra Dimitrova-Miltcheva. They are continued by Vladimir Petkov and continue until today (2016).
The center complex is a classic basilica, with its impressive grandeur, interior architecture and exquisite decoration of mosaics and frescoes. The building went through three major reconstructions, as the central and southern nave significantly change its original form. The complex includes besides the church and square atrium from the south, baptistery chapel southwest of narthex, martirium with spring and бисхоп residence immediately west of the narthex. The martirium was opened in 2012 and extremely well preserved, almost to the roof. Its entire interior was painted with frescoes in two layers.
It was reconstructed with a project “Sandanski – the dawn of the Early Christianity”, financed by program “Regional Development” worth 6.1 million levs.