The village of Dobarsko is mentioned for the first time in the Rila diploma of Tzar Ivan Shishman from 1378 together with other villages, donated to the Rila Monastery. The church was built in 1614, but it has been suggested that the year of construction was 1122. With its impressive frescoes and authentic architecture the church stands among the masterpieces of Bulgarian art. The church represents a small basilica with three naves, partially sunken into the ground. There is no dome or bell tower. The interior is richly decorated. More than 460 biblical and local characters are depicted, 30 of which represent saints. The original murals are very well preserved. During 1973-1978 the frescoes were cleaned.