Detached square-plan castellated castle, built in 1839, with castellated towers to angles and inner courtyard. Coursed rubble walls with tooled limestone walls with tooled limestone quoins and castellations. Battered walls to towers and entrance bay. Two two-stage towers to front angles and two four-stage towers to rear angles. Tudor-arch entrance with wrought-iron grid like gates on wheels that open back into a cavity in the wall. Chamfered tooled limestone surround with date 1839 to keystone gives access to inner courtyard. Pointed-arched blind windows to side elevations. Five-bay two-storey house within outer walls with castellated parapet and random coursed limestone walls with dressings. Square-headed window openings with block-and-start surrounds and limestone sills. Bulls eye window above door with block-and-start surround. Pointed-arched window openings to rear elevation with one surviving cast-iron lattice window. Stone spiral stairs to north-west tower. Castle is set in Cloontykilla Woods on the shores of Lough Key. Landing place to the north of the castle.
Copyright Government of Ireland. This dataset was created by the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. This copyright material is licensed for re-use under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence.