St. Olivers Roman Catholic chapel, Ballincurra, Co. Westmeath
Detached T-plan Roman Catholic chapel, built c.1835 and altered c.1860, comprising two-bay nave to southeast with single-bay transepts to southwest and northeast. Pitched artificial slate roof (recently renovated) with overhanging eaves. Cut limestone cross finials to nave gable and to transepts. Roughcast rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth with raised ashlar limestone quoins to corners and ashlar limestone string course at eaves level. Pointed-arched window openings having chamfered ashlar limestone surrounds with moulded ashlar limestone drip mouldings over. Circular window with moulded ashlar limestone surround to gable of entrance front (southeast). Pointed-arched doorcases with chamfered ashlar limestone surrounds with moulded drip mouldings over to entrance gable (southeast) and to the southeast faces of transepts. Replacement timber windows and doors throughout. Freestanding single-bay two-stage belfry, erected c.1860, on square-plan to the east having steeply pitched and sprocketed pyramidal natural slate roof with bands of coloured fish-scale slates. Wrought-iron cross finial over. Constructed of coursed rubble limestone with ashlar limestone detailing and dressings, including clasping buttresses to corners, raised quoins to corners at second stage level, string courses and chamfered surrounds having drip mouldings over to pointed-arch openings. Church and belfry set in rural landscape to the northeast of Moyvore village.
Copyright Government of Ireland. This dataset was created by the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. This copyright material is licensed for re-use under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence.