Walshestown Roman Catholic chapel, , Co. Westmeath
Detached Roman Catholic single cell hall-type church, built c.1837, comprising three-bay nave. Pitched slate roof with cut stone coping to either end (east and west) having cast-iron decorative cross finials over. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Ruled-and-line rendered walls over cut stone plinth. Pointed-arch window openings having leaded glass, cut limestone surrounds and simple dressed limestone tracery. Oculus window with cut limestone cross motif and stained glass to western gable over entrance. Pointed-arch door opening with moulded (shouldered) limestone surround having limestone panel over with carved cross motif. Square-headed timber sheeted door with cast-iron hinges. Plaque over door with inscription Pray for Eleanor Martin, Donor of this Church 1837. Church is set back from road edge with two rendered flanking walls curving out to north and south towards road edge. Cast-iron gates adjacent to south side of church to give access to grotto of ïOur LadyÍ. Located in quiet rural location to the west of Mullingar Town.
Copyright Government of Ireland. This dataset was created by the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. This copyright material is licensed for re-use under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence.