Detached four-bay double-height Board of First Fruits Church of Ireland church, built 1781-5; dated 1783, comprising three-bay double-height nave opening into single-bay double-height lower chancel (east) with single-bay three-stage tower to entrance (west) front on a square plan. Damaged, 1798. Restored, 1821/8, with interior improved. Restored, 2000-2. Pitched slate roof repaired, 2000-2, retaining pitched slate roof to chancel with clay ridge tiles, cut-granite coping to gables, and cast-iron rainwater goods on cut-granite eaves retaining cast-iron octagonal or ogee hoppers and downpipes. Roof to tower not visible behind parapet with concealed rainwater goods. Replacement rendered walls, 2001-2, on rendered plinth with cut-granite flush quoins to corners, cut-granite stringcourse to first stage to tower, inscribed date stone (1783) to top (bell) stage, and cut-granite stringcourse supporting rendered crow stepped battlemented parapet having cut-granite coping terminating in cut-granite pinnacles to corners. Pointed-arch window openings with cut-granite sills, cut-granite surrounds framing carved timber Y-mullions with some carved cut-granite Y-mullions, and four-over-four timber sash windows without horns having interlocking Y-tracery glazing bars with some fixed-pane fittings having cast-iron lattice glazing bars or leaded stained glass panels. Pointed-arch window opening to chancel (east) with cut-granite sill, cut-granite surround framing carved cut-granite Y-mullion, and iron mesh storm panel over fixed-pane fittings having leaded stained glass panel. Pointed-arch door opening to tower with cut-limestone threshold, and cut-granite surround on cut-granite padstones framing timber boarded door having timber overpanel. Pointed-arch window openings to second stage with cut-granite sills forming part of stringcourse, and cut-granite surrounds framing fixed-pane fittings having V-tracery glazing bars. Pointed-arch openings to top (bell) stage with cut-granite sills, and cut-granite surrounds framing louvered fittings. Interior including vestibule to tower on a circular plan with limestone flagged floor, and spiral staircase with timber match stick balusters supporting carved timber banister; full-height interior to nave, improved 1821/8; restored 2000-2, with timber panelled gallery (1821/8) to first floor (west) on cast-iron Ionic pillars supporting timber box pews, cut-granite baptismal font, carpeted stone flagged central aisle between carpeted raised timber boarded floors supporting salvaged timber pews (1844?; installed post-1971), replacement timber panelled wainscoting, cut-stone wall monuments (ob. 1845-1970) including one salvaged cut-white marble wall monument (ob. 1916; installed post-1971) with some polished brass wall monuments (ob. 1918-31), leaded stained glass diptych memorial window (1910; ob. 1909), Gothic-style timber panelled pulpit on an octagonal plan with Gothic-style timber lectern, tongue-and-groove timber panelled elliptical-vaulted ceiling in carved timber frame on carved timber cornice, elliptical-headed chancel arch framing encaustic-tiled stepped dais to chancel (east) with wrought iron-detailed barley twist balusters supporting carved timber communion railing, and Gothic-style timber memorial altar (ob. 1918) below leaded stained glass diptych memorial window (1896; ob. 1896). Set in own grounds including graveyard with collection of cut-stone markers, ob. 1735+, retaining group of cast-iron Celtic Cross-style markers, ob. 1908-48 [DS/SS].
Copyright Government of Ireland. This dataset was created by the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. This copyright material is licensed for re-use under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence.