Freestanding castle, built c.1450, having been altered and extended until c.1900. Comprising five-bay two-storey gate house with central two-stage crow-step gabled breakfront tower to front (west) elevation, having three-stage tower to north-west corner, now ruinous. Overhanging dressed rubble stone crenellated parapets throughout, having chamfered coping and dressed stone corbelled eaves. Roofs absent. Dressed roughly coursed limestone walls, having dressed limestone stringcourse. Arcaded limestone string course below upper stage of breakfront, having recessed shield panels and cruciform loops to ground and upper stages. Square-headed window openings with limestone sills and dressed limestone label mouldings throughout. Having remains of timber window frames, including bipartite windows to second stage of tower. Remains of timber fittings visible to some openings. Former ogee arched carriageway opening to breakfront tower, having ashlar limestone voussoirs. Now blocked with rubble limestone, containing later camber-headed door opening, having red brick voussoirs, also blocked with concrete blocks. Located on elevated site, having earlier rubble limestone curtain retaining wall to south with dressed limestone stringcourse and cruciform loops. Set within own grounds.
Copyright Government of Ireland. This dataset was created by the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. This copyright material is licensed for re-use under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence.